How Much Does a Quality Mattress Cost?
Please Note: This Post Contains Affiliate Links
- Question: "How much should I spend on a mattress?"
- Quick Answer: Most mattresses today cost somewhere between $200 and $1500. However, there are premium mattresses that can cost upwards of $5000 or more, and there are budget mattresses that can cost around $150 or even less. Most people can find a quality mattress in the $1000 price range.
Deciding Your Budget
If you're in the market for a new mattress, you've likely already figured out that the cost of mattresses varies...a lot. Depending on where you shop, you can find mattresses for under $200, and up over $3000.
This can leave you wondering who much you should spend on a mattress. Are you wasting your money on a premium mattress that isn't much different than the cheaper models? Will the cheaper models supply the level of comfort you expect?
Well, we are here to help. Before you start your mattress shopping journey, you need to figure out the budget you want to spend. Here is a quick summary of what to expect when buying a mattress at common price points.
How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
Average Mattress Prices
The type of mattress you opt for has a huge impact on the price you should expect to pay. The price range foam a foam mattress are drastically different than the price of a latex or hybrid mattress. The table below outlines what you should expect to pay for a queen size mattress depending on the material it's made out of.
Type of Mattress
Low Price Range
Medium Price Range
High Price Range
Average Price (Queen)
$700 - $1,000
$500 - $900
$1,000 - $2,000
$1,000 - $2,000
$300 - $600
$1,000 - $2,000
What To Expect in Each Price Range
Free - $200?
At this price point, you're either getting a very low-quality mattress or a used mattress. While buying a used mattress may be a good option if you're on a tight budget, there are a few things to consider before pulling the trigger.
- You can never really be sure where the mattress has been. If it was ever in a smoking home, there could be odors that appear even if you don't notice them right away.
- A used mattress may already have existing sag and be near the ends of its usable lifetime
- Buying used means you don't get a warranty
Related: Best Mattress Under $200
$200 - $600?
At this price point, you can generally get a good quality full, or queen size mattress. Mattresses at this price level will likely either be innerspring, or memory foam. Here's what you need to know about buying a mattress in this price range.
- A memory foam mattress will have a shorter life span than higher-quality latex mattresses
- The larger the size of the bed, the lower the quality. A king size mattress at this price point will likely be a very low-quality mattress.
- Mattresses in this price range will likely be adequate for around five years.
Related: Best Mattress Under $500
At this level, you're starting to get into higher quality mattresses. You will either find thick a memory foam mattress or higher quality synthetic materials such as latex.
- This is the average price of a mattress with a ten-year warranty
- Most famous and new-name brands are in this price range, giving you significantly more choices than price ranges below this.
- You can expect a mattress at this price range to last from 8-10 years.\
Related Content: Best Mattress Under $1000
Get Matched With Your Perfect Mattress
We know how hard it is to find a mattress just by reading information online.
Thats why we created a mattress finder quiz to help pair you with the perfect mattress for your sleep style and comfort preferences
$900 - $2500+?
At this level, you're into premium mattresses. You can expect the highest quality materials, excellent warranties, and a plethora of options from latex (the highest quality material available), to hybrids and variations of the classic memory foam mattress.
- Smaller mattresses in this price range will be ultra-premium, and sometimes medically backed mattresses that are good for people with a variety of sleep-related health issues.
- These mattresses will almost always have a 10+ year warranty, with some mattress companies offering a lifetime warranty.
Ready to find the perfect mattress? Click here to see a list of all of our mattress reviews.
What Mattress Do I Use?
Even running a mattress review website, you can really only have one mattress you call your own.
I'm currently sleeping on the GhostBed Flex and I LOVE it. This affordable, but luxurious mattress performs well above its price range. It's a medium firmness mattress that hugs and contours to your body.
If you're in the market for a mattress, heres a few great reasons to try out the GhostBedFlex
- Ultra luxurious build quality with reinforced edge support
- Responsive support that helps relieve pressure in your back and hips
- Cooling materials are great if you sleep hot
- Great motion isolation
- 20+ year warranty
- Hassle free returns
GhostBed is having a flash sale today, April 17, 2021. Snag your discount mattress before time runs out!
When it comes to buying a mattress, you shouldn't go with the cheapest option available, but you should also stick within a budget that makes sense for your situation.
Many factors go into buying and budgeting for a mattress, such as mattress size, materials, specific features, and the type of warranty you expect.
How much did you spend on your mattress? Let us know in the comments section below!
Courtney is the reason The Sleep Shop exists. She’s a Seattle native with a passion for healthy sleep. She graduated from Seattle Pacific University with a major in marketing. She started The Sleep Shop to help friends and family choose a good mattress, and helped grow the site to what it is today. She does most of the product testing and reviews.