How Much Does a Quality Mattress Cost?
Please Note: This Post Contains Affiliate Links
- Question: "How much should I spend on a mattress?"
- Quick Answer: Most mattresses today cost somewhere between $200 and $1500. However, there are premium mattresses that can cost upwards of $5000 or more, and there are budget mattresses that can cost around $150 or even less. Most people can find a high quality mattress in the $1000 price range.
Deciding Your Budget
If you're in the market for a new mattress, you've likely already figured out that the mattress cost varies...a lot. Depending on where you shop, you can get mattresses for under $200, and up over $3000. Mattress prices can also fluctuate due to their warranties, return policies, and the materials they're made with.
This can leave you wondering how much should you spend on a good mattress. Are you wasting your money on expensive mattresses that aren't much different than models that cost less? Will the less expensive models also supply the level of comfort you expect?
Well, we are here to help. Before you buy a new bed, you need to figure out the budget you want to spend on a mattress. Here is a quick summary of what to expect when buying a mattress at common price ranges.
How Much Does a Good Mattress Cost?
Average Mattress Prices
The type of features (like materials used) that you opt for have a significant impact on the mattress cost. The mattress prices of foam mattresses is significantly different from the price of a latex mattress and a traditional innerspring mattress (also referred to as a hybrid mattress). A mattress cost will also be affected by the firmness level of a mattress, where a firm mattress will cost higher. Same goes for mattress sizes with queen size to Cal King costing higher than smaller mattresses like the twin xl. The table below outlines what you should expect to pay for a queen size mattress depending on the materials used to make them.
Type of Mattress
Low Price Range
Medium Price Range
High Price Range
Average Price (Queen)
$700 - $1,000
$500 - $900
$1,000 - $2,000
$1,000 - $2,000
$300 - $600
$1,000 - $2,000
What To Expect in Each Price Range
Free - $200?
At such mattress costs, you’re either getting a very low-quality bed or a used mattress. While buying a cheap mattress may be a good option if you’re on a tight budget, there are a few things to consider before pulling the trigger.
- You can never really be sure where the mattress has been. If it was ever in a smoking home, there could be odors that appear even if you don't notice them right away.
- A used mattress may already have existing sag and be near the ends of its usable lifetime
- Buying used means you don't get a warranty
Related: Best Mattress Under $200
$200 - $600?
At such mattress costs, you can get a good quality full, or queen size mattress. Mattresses at this price level will likely either be innerspring mattresses, or memory foam models. Here’s what you need to know about looking for a good mattress in this range.
- A memory foam mattress will have a shorter life span than higher-quality latex mattresses
- The larger the size of the bed, the lower the quality. A king size mattress at this price point will likely be a very low-quality mattress
- Mattresses in these price ranges will likely be durable for around five years. You can also find foam mattresses that offer good motion isolation and pressure relief, so if you share your bed with your partner, you won't wake up each time they move or change sleep positions.
Related: Best Mattress Under $500
$600 - $900?
At this level, you’re starting to get into high end mattresses with good quality materials. You will either find a memory foam bed or higher quality synthetic materials such as a natural latex mattress, which is also eco friendly.
- This is the average price of a mattress with a ten-year warranty
- Most famous and new-name online mattress brands are at this price, giving you significantly more choices than mattress costs below this.
- You can expect a hybrid, natural or synthetic latex mattress or a memory foam mattress at this range to last from 8-10 years. One excellent example of a hybrid mattress in this price range is the DreamCloud Hybrid Mattress. It's well-known for providing excellent pressure relief, solid edge support, and temperature regulation.
- Most brand from this average price range will offer free shipping and a trial period
Related Content: Best Mattress Under $1000
Get Matched With Your Perfect Mattress
We know how hard it is to find a mattress just by reading information online.
Thats why we created a mattress finder quiz to help pair you with the perfect mattress for your sleep style and comfort preferences
$900 - $2500+?
At this mattress cost level, you’re into premium mattresses. If you're shopping for a mattress online, you can expect the highest quality materials, excellent warranties, and a plethora of options from latex (the highest quality material available) to hybrid mattresses and variations of the classic memory foam mattresses. Aside from luxury mattresses, you can also get other bed accessories to help you sleep better, such as an adjustable bed base.
- Smaller mattresses in this range will be ultra-premium, and sometimes medically backed mattresses that are good for people with a variety of sleep-related health issues.
- These luxury mattresses will almost always have a 10 year warranty, with some mattress companies offering a lifetime warranty.
- Each mattress type and each model in this range will offer you impeccable pressure relief, motion isolation, edge support, etc.
- You should also expect longer trial periods, and every mattress purchase should include free shipping and returns and white glove delivery services if you buy an online mattress.
The average mattress price for these beds is between $1,500 and $4,000. You can also afford such expensive hybrid, latex, or foam mattresses when on a budget. All you have to do is target the holidays when mattress brands give insane discounts and package deals on average priced mattresses. Such holidays include Memorial day, Labor day and Black Friday among others.
Ready to find the perfect mattress? Click here to see a list of all of our mattress reviews.
What Mattress Do I Use?
Even running a mattress review website, you can really only have one mattress you call your own.
I'm currently sleeping on the GhostBed Luxe foam mattress and I LOVE it. This affordable, but luxurious memory foam mattress performs well above its price range. It's a plush mattress that hugs and contours to your body to relieve pain and support healthy sleep.
If you're in the market for a mattress, here's a few great reasons to try out the GhostBed Luxe
- Cool to the touch cover
- Responsive support that helps relieve pressure in your back and hips
- Medium plush feel is suitable for most sleep styles
- Great motion isolation
- 20+ year warranty
GhostBed is having a flash sale today, December 2, 2023. Snag your discount mattress before time runs out!
When it comes to buying a mattress, you shouldn't go with the cheapest option available, but you should also stick within a budget that makes sense for your situation. However, consider a mattress an investment, the better the quality, the longer it'll last and you won't need to keep buying new mattresses.
Be keen with the materials used. For example, some online mattress brands may use synthetic latex instead of natural latex, others use memory foam that’s not infused with gel substances that make it dissipate heat. While all these are high quality mattress materials, it depends on your sleeping needs, so find out what you need to have a good night’s sleep and get the ideal hybrid, memory foam, or latex mattresses.
How much did you spend on your mattress? Let us know in the comments section below!